What rights do other family members have in relation to my children?

When a relationship breaks down, it’s not just the immediate family that can have difficulties, other members of the family, such as grandparents, can be caught up in these difficulties too.


It can be hard for grandparents, for example, to get to see the children when the children’s parents separate, and this can be particularly heartbreaking if they have provided a caring role for their grandchildren in the past.

It is always helpful if the grandparent can try to maintain a relationship with the parent with whom the child lives. Don’t forget to use new technology with your grandchildren– smart phones, skype, face time, that kind of thing. Even though you are separated by distance, you can still maintain a relationship.

There may be occasions, however, where informal arrangements don’t work and, under those circumstances, you may have to consider making an application to the Court.

However, there is no presumption that a grandparent should have contact with his or her grandchildren. Firstly, you will have to apply to the Court for permission to actually make an application to see your grandchild.

If that permission is granted, then your application for a Child Arrangements Order will be considered in full.

If this happens, then the same procedure will be followed as if the application were one made by a parent.

Here at Scotts Wright we have experience in dealing with grandparent applications; please contact us for advice and assistance in your particular case.

You may also be able to obtain useful information from the Grandparents Association:-


For more on Children and Divorce, please click here.