Our Conveyancing team consists of five fully qualified Solicitors who are ably supported by our secretarial staff and between us, we have a wealth of experience in both residential and commercial property matters. You can find out more information about our Solicitors on ‘Our People’ page. No matter who in our team handles your transaction, they will be supervised by Steven Scott, our Head of Property.
How long will my mortgage/re-mortgage take?
This depends on a number of factors such as whether you are re-mortgaging with the same lender or switching to a new bank or building society, or whether your property is subject to management company restrictions. On average, the process takes between 4-8 weeks.
Stages of the process
The precise stages involved in the re-mortgage of a residential property vary according to the circumstances. However, below we have suggested some key stages for your information.
- We will take your instructions and investigate the title of the property.
- Carry out a Local Authority Search or make arrangements for an appropriate indemnity insurance policy to be put in place. (This will entirely depend upon whether your new Mortgage Company requires a search to be undertaken).
- Consider the Mortgage Company’s instructions and ensure that the terms and conditions of your mortgage are complied with.
- Prepare the mortgage deed and any other necessary documentation.
- Explain the content of the mortgage documentation to you and obtain your signature where appropriate.
- Report to the Mortgage Company and obtain the mortgage advance if applicable.
- Complete the re-mortgage (this is the date when the old mortgage will be re-paid and the new mortgage will commence).
- Register the transaction at the Land Registry.
- Forward the title documents to the Mortgage Company and account to you for any money held on your behalf.