FIXED FEE OF £500 plus VAT (on the basis you will enter a guilty plea and have a date for your hearing)
At Scotts Wright we offer a fixed fee for a guilty plea at the Magistrates Court in simple driving matters such as driving under the influence of alcohol, and careless driving (driving without due care and attention)
THE FEE INCLUDES:
- 2 hours of the solicitor’s time, which may include a meeting with you beforehand to discuss your case and attendance in court for the hearing (on the basis there is a single hearing in the Magistrates Court).
- Taking your instructions and reviewing any evidence.
- Providing advice on your likely sentence.
- Travel to the courts in Harrogate, York, Middlesbrough and Northallerton.
THE FEE DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- Instruction of an expert.
- Taking witness statements.
- Advice or assistance in relation to more complex hearings, for example, where you may wish to plead exceptional hardship.
- Advice or assistance on how to appeal.
- Travel costs to other courts.
- Meet your solicitor and give instructions as to what has happened.
- We will consider the initial evidence and obtain disclosure of the prosecution papers from the CPS where appropriate.
- We will consider whether it will be necessary to obtain any other witness statements (this will incur an additional fee, depending upon the time this will take)
- We will explain the courts procedure and what is likely to happen on the day of your hearing.
- We will carry out any further preparatory work, and will deal with any queries you have.
- The timescale very much depends upon the type of case and the court listing schedule. Most simple matters of the type envisaged in this note are dealt with at court on the same day.
- On the day of the hearing we will meet with you before the hearing, at court, to discuss any final points.
- Although you are required to be at court from a certain time, cases are heard in a list and it may be some time before it is your turn to come before the Magistrates. Be prepared for some waiting around.
- After the hearing we will discuss the outcome of the hearing with you and will follow this up in writing to you.
- If you wish to appeal the Magistrates’ decision we can advise you on this as an additional costs at the hourly rate of the fee earner conducting your matter.
WHO WILL DO MY WORK AND AT WHAT RATE?
The work will be carried out by Estella Prince (Senior Solicitor and Head of Litigation with more than 7 years post qualification litigation experience). Please see the personal profiles on this website for further information. Usually work will be carried out at an hourly rate of £200 per hour plus VAT.
WHAT IF MY MATTER IS NOT A SIMPLE MOTORING OFFENCE?
We are able to advise on all types of cases that come before the Magistrates and Crown Courts. Please contact Estella for more details.
Scotts Wright does not have a legal aid certificate. We only offer representation for criminal matters on a privately paying basis.